Have you recently suffered an unfortunate slip and fall accident? These incidents can occur quite frequently. Slip and fall accidents happen every day in the United States and can cause physical damages that may leave long-term to fully permanent repercussions on your health. As a result, your quality of life may be negatively affected. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may be forced to miss work and assume the obligation of paying medical expenses.
Slip and fall accidents can result from different factors and it is crucial to determine what exactly led to the event. It is important to mention that these incidents are often caused by someone else’s negligence. By proving that the accident was provoked by someone else’s lack of responsibility, you will be entitled to get a fair set of compensation for all of your damages.
You should know though, that It is quite difficult to receive monetary compensation without the guidance and representation from a slip and fall lawyer. Qualified attorneys possess the necessary expertise to take care of your case. Rest assured that they will do everything in their professional capacity to ensure that you achieve the compensation you deserve.
So, we would like to invite you to keep reading this article because we will delve into the legal standards of slip and fall accidents alongside the benefits of hiring a lawyer to handle your case.
Legal Aspects of Slip and Fall Accidents
A slip and fall accident is defined as a personal injury case when an individual trips and falls on another individual’s premises. These cases are governed by the basic guidelines stated by the state in which the accident occurs.
Slip and fall accidents often occur in public spaces such as restaurants, banks, malls, and supermarkets. Personal injury law declares that if there was a hazard in the property and the establishment owners decided not to eliminate it, they will be held accountable for your damages.
Some examples of hazards are:
- Poor lighting
- Torn carpeting
- Cracked sidewalks
- Slick floors
- Changes in walls and floors
In the majority of cases, the victim of a slip and fall accident must prove that the event resulted from negligent actions similar to the ones mentioned above. For that reason, you will need to gather the necessary evidence to prove your case
Evidence can range from things such as photographs of the establishment, your injuries, and the causes that precipitated the event. Additionally, gathering testimonies from eyewitnesses is considered a valuable asset when filing a claim.
What to Do After Suffering a Slip and Fall
Although slip and fall accidents can be painstaking events that may lead to severe bodily damage, it is important to try and stay calm while assessing the situation. This means verifying the severity of your injuries, identifying if there were any eyewitnesses at the moment of impact, and determining the cause of the accident.
Additionally, whether your injuries are severe or not, it is mandatory to seek medical attention immediately because symptoms of your injuries may take days to fully develop. Also, your medical reports will be valuable pieces of information in order to build a strong claim.
Regardless of the place where the event took place, make sure that you report the accident to your manager, landlord, friend, and especially the establishment owner. It is important to demand that the owner provide you with a detailed report of the type of accident, your injuries, hazardous condition, and the date of the accident.
When you are gathering evidence make sure you take pictures of the establishment and the exact location where the incident occurred. Write down what you were doing right before the accident and the manner in which you fell.
Facts About Slip and Falls
- According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slip and fall accidents account for over 8 million emergency room visits.
- Slip and fall accidents are considered to be one of the leading causes of missed days of work.
- Fractures are the most common injury resulting from trip and fall accidents and occur in 5% of individuals who suffer these events.
Benefits of Slip and Fall Lawyers
- Experience when representing you: Slip and fall attorneys can guide you through the entire process that surrounds your claim. The legal issues surrounding an injury claim can vary from negotiating with insurance firms to sharing testimonies.
- Attaining compensation: Property owners and insurance companies will intend to undermine your claim. Most of the time, they will not assume responsibility for the accident and can do whatever is in their power to dispute the case. However, lawyers will add value to your claim by evaluating all your damages including any loss of income. Furthermore, slip and fall attorneys can ask to see your medical reports and any other paperwork so that you can achieve compensation.
- Access to other services: Slip and fall lawyers can provide you access to other services such as medical treatment for your injuries. Also, they work alongside private investigators that can help you gather the necessary evidence for your case.
- Forcing a trial: Unfortunately, there will be cases where reaching a settlement with the other party is virtually impossible. Nonetheless, you should not hesitate in contacting a lawyer because they have the power to take your case to trial and reach a settlement once and for all.
Seek a Slip and Fall Lawyer Right Away!
This information was brought to you by the best law firm in South Florida. After reading this article, we assume that you are now more knowledgeable on the legal issues that may arise after suffering a trip and fall with the benefits of seeking legal expertise. For that reason, we urge you to call a slip and fall lawyer right now!