Tooth loss can be debilitating and is considered the most common complication of dental problems that are left untreated. Delay in replacing the lost teeth can lead to compromised masticatory functions and poor aesthetics. Fortunately, this can be overcome with the help of partial dentures. What is a partial denture? Let’s find out.
Top Thornton Dentist and their team offer premium-quality partial dentures to replace missing teeth in the upper and lower arches, thereby enhancing your oral health.
An insight into partial dentures
Modern dentistry has undergone an immense revolution over the past decades by providing several restorative options. Partial dentures are one among the many appliances invented to help replace a few or more missing teeth.
A partial denture typically consists of one or several false teeth that rest on a plastic or metal base that mimics your gums. These are removable appliances that give you the added benefit of cleaning them regularly.
There are two main types of partial dentures, namely:
- Clasp denture
These dentures clasp onto the adjacent teeth through thin, metal clasps.
These appliances attach to dental implants inserted within your jawbone.
The process behind partial dentures
Getting a partial denture involves the following procedural steps:
- Oral evaluation
- Your oral cavity is assessed to determine the number of missing teeth and the health of your gums and jawbone.
- Removal of tooth remnants
- Your dentist will extract the remaining tooth fragments under local anesthesia. This may involve a simple extraction or a minor surgical procedure.
- The extraction site will be allowed to heal before the fabrication of partial dentures. This may take around 3-4 weeks.
- Designing the partial dentures
- Once your mouth has healed after extraction, your dentist will record oral impressions, along with a wax rim try-in to establish a correct bite.
- The dental technician will create a working model that helps design and fabricate appropriate partial dentures using suitable materials.
- Placing the partial dentures
- You will finally have a try-on appointment to check the fit and occlusion after placing the partial denture.
- Your dentist will make the necessary adjustments until you are comfortable without the presence of any sore spots or high points.
Partial dentures are removable prostheses that effectively replace your lost teeth in the upper and lower arches. These appliances can successfully restore your oral form, function, and aesthetics to improve your quality of life. When taken care of properly by following good oral hygiene practices, partial dentures are worth it.