100 {More} Ways to Elegantly Uncomplicate Your Life

by DeeAnne on 31/03/2011

Rosamund Pike under a leaf

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

~Leonardo de Vinci

Due to the overwhelming popularity of 100 Ways to Uncomplicate Your Life, here’s the next edition of ways to make this complicated old world just a little bit more lovely…

1. Believe that everything will turn out just fine in the end, because it usually does

2. Learn the basics of investing, so that you’re able to grow your wealth

25. All things in moderation

26. Buy white dishes that never go out of style

27. Take good care of yourself so that you’ll be able to do more for others

28. Understand that no one was put on this earth to make you happy

29. Allow others to make themselves happy

30. Be tolerant of other cultures, lifestyles, and religions

31. Don’t be defensive. Listen calmly to constructive criticism, act if it’s accurate, disagree politely if it isn’t.

32. Tell yourself the truth

33. Stop making negative comments about your body, your mind, or your beauty

34. Work harder on making the inside pretty, and less on making the outside pretty

35. Make due with what you have

36. Work to live, and live to eat

37. Fall madly, deeply, crazy in love, and don’t hold anything back

38. Take people at their word, until you’ve been shown that you can’t

39. Have your teeth cleaned every six months

40. Floss

41. Have a weekly date night with your partner

42. Don’t let your children become the center of your family; they need to begin their own life someday

43. Don’t make your children feel guilty for beginning their own life

44. Smile at others as often as possible

45. Be too busy to care what others think, but not too busy to care for others

46. Take the 100 Thing Challenge

47. Live by the phrase “vive le difference”

48. Be monogamous

65. Learn to like yourself

66. Take responsibility for your actions, even if it’s embarassing

67. If you don’t know the answer to a question, say so

68. Learn how to find the answers to things you don’t know

69. Stop smoking

70. Break your addiction to your iPhone or Blackberry

71. Create a basic wardrobe of quality classics, and only buy what you need to replace what has worn out

72. Have your pets checked regularly by their vet, including their immunization records

73. Stop waiting

85. Stay in touch with people that remind you where you came from

86. Don’t be ashamed of your upbringing

87. Stop thinking the world owes you something

88. Realize that you owe the world your best self

89. Honour your elders

90. Be careful not to become self-absorbed

91. Give up the belief that great wealth, great beauty, or great fame will make you happy. It won’t.

92. Learn what does make you truly, utterly, undeniably happy on a lasting basis

93. Give more than you get

94. Stop making excuses

95. Stop being angry at the world

96. Throw out the self help books and get on with it

97. Don’t over analyze

98. Realize that no one in your life is perfect, and neither are you

99. Let out a huge sigh of relief at that realization

100. See change as a lovely ending to a book you’ve just finished reading, and go out and find the next book

photo credit unknown

Related posts:

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Priss & Vinegar March 31, 2011 at 18:18

What a lovely post! While I might struggle with some of this advice (snark necessarily requires *some* sharp observations), it nevertheless provides wonderful tools for living a more serene life. Brava!

DeeAnne April 1, 2011 at 09:55

Thank you so much for your kind comment Heather! I struggle with many of these myself, and a few have gotten me in trouble a time or two ;-) ALWAYS just a work in progress, I am!

xoxo,
D

Erika April 1, 2011 at 09:31

Gorgeous list as always. Love #19. Thank you for these gentle reminders.

DeeAnne April 1, 2011 at 09:57

Hello Erika!
So good to hear from you, and I’m fond of #19 myself…I’m always so glad to know that others enjoy my gentle reminders to myself.
I hope all is well with you,
DeeAnne

Vanessa@Luxuria April 1, 2011 at 17:47

Fab post. I am going to print this and place it by my desk. I LOVE no. 96 and 97 (despite being a Psychologist myself!)
I really need to do no.81 more too.
I love these posts; just don’t know how you manage to come up with 100 really tips every time.

DeeAnne April 6, 2011 at 09:16

Hello Vanessa!
Thank you for the kind words, and I must admit that the 100 lists are my favourite to write so I’m very, very happy to know that they’re enjoyed! I often can come up with 100 things because I’m working on so many areas of my own life at any given moment! lol
xoxoxo,
D

The Dropout April 2, 2011 at 02:18

Great list DeeAnne.
I am now sitting up straight and thinking about the wonderful times I’ve had when I’ve done some of these things and the crappy old times I have when I flout your rules and worry about what others think or how my post-baby stomach still sticks out.
Thank you!

DeeAnne April 6, 2011 at 09:11

Ahhhh, you and I are on the same page here…I know these things complicate a life, because I’ve made most of the mistakes on both lists. lol I’m hoping that I learn and improve, but I’m working on the un-perfect thing, as well !

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, and I say let the post-baby tummy stick out and enjoy the baby !!!

All my best,
D

JenP April 3, 2011 at 20:45

Great post and I love the ideas! Some are things that I do already….but I wish I could remember the rest and put them into action! It’s all very well on a Sunday evening when I’m calm and chilled but once it’s Monday morning and the working week starts, it’s another story.
Of course I am breaking numbers 77 and 94 just by writing this!

DeeAnne April 6, 2011 at 09:08

Hahaha! I know just what you mean Jen! After all, 100 things to remember is anything but uncomplicated! lol

sandy@oohlafroufrou April 5, 2011 at 02:20

I’m going to print them both off and hang them in my office … such wonderful, wonderful advice!

DeeAnne April 6, 2011 at 09:06

Oh, thank you so much Sandy! I hope all is well with you and ‘the girls’!
Very best,
D

disco April 7, 2011 at 22:08

Good list!
But some points are just “Beahh!”

DeeAnne April 14, 2011 at 09:43

LOL, I’m happy that you enjoyed the list, and perhaps the “beahh” ones will come in handy at another point in life?

Thank you so much for your comment!
D

Genuine Lustre April 13, 2011 at 14:28

“Don’t have guns in your home? HAHA. I half expected to read “vote Democrat.”

DeeAnne April 14, 2011 at 09:41

LOL I understand what you mean, but no politics, morals or religion, just tried to create a list that factually helps to simplify things. I hope you enjoyed, and thank you for your comment.

D

Mama Mia April 14, 2011 at 05:14

Thanks for the inspiring post! I too am a fan of the 100 Thing Challenge.

I also hope you like my link back to your blog:

DeeAnne April 14, 2011 at 09:39

So good to meet a fellow fan, and I love the link back! You put it perfectly. Really love the concept of your site too.

Best wishes,
DeeAnne

Sam June 1, 2012 at 21:02

I think this list was custom made for me.

Thanks a lot, it’s all I need.

DeeAnne June 1, 2012 at 21:21

That’s so nice to hear, and I look at this list (and the first post on uncomplicating your life) almost daily!

Very best,