100 Ways to Age With Grace, Elegance & Joie De Vivre

by DeeAnne on 10/09/2010

carolina-herrera-perfumes

There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age.

~Sophia Loren

1. Celebrate every birthday with friends, family and champagne

2. Practice yoga, stretching or Pilates to stay flexible, and prevent the aches and stiffness that are often erroneously attributed to aging

3. Explore the new freedom and opportunity that every age brings

4. Wear your hair more naturally, both in style and colour

5. Avoid obvious plastic surgery

6. Spend lots of time around children, to be reminded of the joy there is in play

7. Take a new class

8. Wear less make-up

9. Quit smoking

10. Give up flirting, and be charming instead

11. Smile more, it’s an instant facelift

12. Travel often, especially to countries that embrace aging

13. Keep up your appearance

14. Walk everywhere

15. Finally learn how to overcome your personal demons

16. Accept that there never really was anyone else to blame

17. Forget what you’re “supposed to do”

18. Eat more salmon

19. Learn a foreign language now, to help stave off Alzheimer’s Disease later

20. Leave the dance club scene behind

21. Show less cleavage

22. Embrace your age, it’s much more attractive than trying to appear younger than you are

23. Mentor someone younger, it’s a great way to help one another understand a different generation

24. Eat dessert more often

25. Learn to really appreciate all of your experiences, both good and bad, for what they’ve brought into your life

26. Forget what everyone else wants you to be, and be what you want you to be instead

27. Learn the art of graciousness

28. Avoid gaining weight

29. Have regular facials

30. Write a memoir, if only to remember what a wonderful life it’s been thus far

31. Fall in love with you

32. Assign each laugh line/wrinkle a happy moment in your life that may have put it there, remember the moment rather than the wrinkle

33. Reduce your alcohol intake

34. Improve your calcium intake

35. Moisturize religiously

36. Drink more water

37. Get dressed up and go out at least once a week

38. Wear lovely lingerie

39. Find role models to follow

40. Set goals for 40, 50, 60, 70 and beyond

41. Wear trends only as accessories

42. Get enough sleep

43. Accept and love your aging face and body (remember how you didn’t appreciate it in your 20s, and now you would die for that body?)

44. Find the balance between trying to look 20, and giving up on your appearance

45. Wear quality shoes, but avoid the sensible kind

46. Spend lots of time with friends

47. Don’t be afraid to fall in love again

48. Take proper vitamins and minerals

49. Don’t dress in a frumpy manner

50. Learn to tango

51. Keep an air of mystery

52. See a nutritionist, and learn to eat for maximum energy

53. Splurge on cashmere

54. Do one thing every day that makes you laugh out loud

55. Avoid excessive sunbathing

56. The more ladylike you are now, the better

57. Sleep on quality mattresses

58. Spend your money on taking better care of yourself, and looking good naturally, rather than trying to cover flaws/signs of aging

59. Don’t hunch over a computer/desk all day, take frequent breaks to stretch (to avoid bad posture becoming permanent later)

60. Forgive yourself

61. Continue volunteering

62. Realize that you’re more than just a mother/grandmother, father/grandfather and live where you want to live, and do what you’ve always dreamt of doing

63. Now is the time to give up regrets, they’re too big a burden to carry gracefully

64. Remember that age does not give you the right to say whatever is on your mind, courtesy still counts

65. Buy classic clothing, of the best quality you can afford

66. Keep dreaming new dreams

67. Drink champagne more often

68. Good news~you now have time for golf

69. And bubble baths

70. Make it look easy

71. Don’t mention menopause, or your varicose veins

72. Appreciate the wonder of your children and grandchildren, and their many talents

73. Reignite the love affair with your partner

74. Tell people about the good things in your life, rather than the aches and pains

75. Redecorate your bedroom

76. Learn how to swim the backstroke properly

77. Hold your head high, and stand as tall as possible

78. Remember that you aren’t your job, or title, and start planning a roaring retirement

79. Stop thinking about how fit you once were, and be as fit as you possibly can be now

80. Write a children’s book on the most important thing they should know

81. One word…exfoliate

82. Learn to love kitten heels and beautiful flats

83. Keep wearing lipstick

84. Learn how to make the big family holiday meal on your own

85. Stop wearing mini-skirts

86. Less has never been more more than it is now

87. Don’t forget that you may be many people’s role model

88. Show love and affection to those you care for

89. Learn to arrange flowers

90. Stop worrying about tomorrow

91. Go for walks after dinner

92. Now is the time to use the good china

93. Tell your children how proud you are of them, and name the specific reasons why

94. Add weight bearing exercise to your routine for strong bones

95. Make a list of the inelegant things you’ve seen older people do, and be certain you don’t do them yourself

96. Stop frowning

97. Take up a hobby you’ve always wanted to try

98. Keep working part-time, to stay active and challenged

99. Attempt one thing every year that you never thought you could do

100. Make your new goal to live to be 100, with health and happiness, and live life in a way that will make it happen

photo: Carolina Herrera, credit unknown

Related posts:

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

sandy@oohlafroufrou September 10, 2010 at 16:38

Love the list! It’s always so much classier to see someone age in a beautiful and sophisticated manner than trying to be what they aren’t … 20. I love the beautiful older model photos where they look so beautifully put together with their white hair in a twist and lovely fashionable dresses and jewelry. We’ve probably all walked up behind someone in a very young hairstyle with tight fitting clothes or a mini-skirt in bright colors with high heels and thought it was a rather tasteless young woman, only to see when she turns that she’s into her 60′s. I’m sure she’s not thinking that the way she’s showcasing herself is only pointing out the fact that she’s NOT 20 … and makes her look even older. I hope I’m wise enough to not make those mistakes.

Megan Matthieson September 10, 2010 at 16:48

Loved this. I only had a problem with a couple of them. I love to dance in clubs. Maybe it will wear off. :)

Bobbie September 10, 2010 at 17:24

Wonderful list! Some made me laugh; some made me remember… the good things! Thank you!

Simply Luxurious (Shannon) September 11, 2010 at 07:04

I love your lists. I again agree with your list. Some of my favorites and I’ll only name a few to spare you – invest in beautiful lingerie and let yourself fall in love. Two things that I need to allow myself to do. Other than that I’m really truly working on the rest and will again save this list. :)

Have a lovely weekend DeeAnne.

Mswoodenshoes September 11, 2010 at 15:08

Love the list! I really love 99. Always challenge yourself!

Lily Lemontree (AS) September 11, 2010 at 15:42

Excellent post, just loved this list! Definitely words to live by!

Jill Seidner September 12, 2010 at 00:08

What a great list!! Thanks for sharing – going to save this!

Gill September 13, 2010 at 00:11

I too love the list & shall be saving it. My particular favourites are 65, 66 & 67! :)

Irene Turner September 13, 2010 at 17:36

Thank you. I love this list because it’s not extremist in any way…it allows for and accepts choice, and it ties into what we are all looking for and that’s balance. Writing my book on Slow Home, this list fits right in as a right lifestyle for balance as we move through our world!

Grandmom September 13, 2010 at 19:01

Sent to me by my daughter. I am nearing 70 and I already subscribe to about 90. I guess I have more work to do.

My favorites 72 & 95.

Have a happy day and keep a smile on your face…..

Stephanie Ruby Feldman September 13, 2010 at 19:53

I LOVE this!! Would love to share with my readers…would give you the credit of course!

DeeAnne September 14, 2010 at 10:27

Hello Stephanie!
I would be honoured for you to share my post with your readers!
Very Best,
DeeAnne

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less September 14, 2010 at 02:29

What a wonderful post. It’s truly inspiring to think about what we can do to make the most of our present and our future. It also inspired me to do more yoga and drink more water…two things that are always on top of my to do list! Thank you!

DeeAnne September 14, 2010 at 10:28

Thank you all so very much for the kind comments! I absolutely love hearing which are your favourites, too.
xoxo,
D

Julia September 16, 2010 at 17:08

This was marvelous! Loved every word…I want to frame this entire post.

DeeAnne September 20, 2010 at 12:42

Thank you so much Julia! What very kind words!

Very Best,
D

Hazel September 21, 2010 at 18:00

I’m 48 and still refusing to use the term “middle-aged” when describing myself.

After tending to my ailing mother I came away with 2 pieces of wisdom. Smile more and moisturize everywhere.

I also truly believe that the tight curly perms are the worst thing on the planet for older women. How aging. On the other hand, overly-coiffed helmet hair looks just as bad too no matter how trendy the cut. The softer the better. Bling is really aging.Too much gold and you look like and old rich matron.

DeeAnne September 22, 2010 at 08:22

Hello Hazel!
Thank you for dropping by! You and I are exactly the same age, and I so agree with all of your comments.
Very Best,
D

Piper (DailyDivaDish) September 29, 2010 at 21:30

Such a beautiful list DeeAnn!
XO Piper

Grace April 20, 2011 at 19:04

Thank you for this fabulous post! So much food for thought there, much to aspire to! :)

Valérie April 24, 2011 at 02:56

Some oops and some ahhhs – I would love to send to my friends and crediting you!
Happy Easter!

Vicki Archer July 4, 2012 at 08:30

Such a fabulous list… Well said… Thank you for the inspiration… xv

Carla Coulson July 4, 2012 at 09:28

Adored this list will print it out as need all the help I can get!!
I linked your fabulous blog today on my post here http://carlacoulson.com/links-i-love/
Keep the words of wisdom rolling just fabulous
Carla x

DeeAnne July 4, 2012 at 13:56

Thank you so very much Carla! It obviously came out of my turning 50 this year, and wanting to have a set of ideals for myself, but I’ve been overwhelmed by the response.

Many, many thanks,
DeeAnne x

Lisa T July 4, 2012 at 16:43

What a terrific list. We all need to be reminded not to waste our later years lamenting our lost youth. We can still have beauty, it’s all in the attitude. I love the one about ‘playing’. I always feel young when playing with my great niece and nephew or any small children…and champagne? YES

Frances July 4, 2012 at 16:57

Great list….. one more thing …..forgive others and never go to bed angry.

KATHYSUE July 4, 2012 at 18:17

I just found your blog and what a wonderful introduction this post is!! Thank you for this list! I agree with all 100 suggestions, completely. I have always said aging is a natural process that we all begin the day we are born, but getting old is all in our minds!! I don’t mind aging but I refuse to become old thinking and acting!!
Have a wonderful day,
Kathysue

Terali February 11, 2014 at 14:10

Love the site

Francesca Muir July 5, 2012 at 08:37

Wow this is JUST what I need – thank you so much. Found your blog thanks to the lovely Carla – and am now going to share your list. Thank you and have a lovely day.
F

Sanne August 16, 2013 at 17:33

Have had my 60th birthday some months ago. Think the list is a perfect gift for me!

DeeAnne September 2, 2013 at 07:36

A very happy belated birthday, and I’m absolutely delighted that the post resonated with you!

Many happy returns,
DeeAnne

Michelle February 11, 2014 at 15:12

Its a great list. Unfortunately, I have wasted much of my life wishing for old age so I could just be happy with myself the way I am and could stop trying to be this unattainable model of fitness and beauty. As I age, I see that this magical age of peace doesn’t really exist. These lists and women with your outlook help. Thank you.