100 Ways to Uncomplicate Your Life

by DeeAnne on 13/08/2010

Rosamund Pike with dog

1. Don’t try to read other people’s minds

2. Get up 30 minutes earlier so that you don’t rush/get a ticket while driving too fast/have to explain why you’re late/get fired

3. Get 8 hours of sleep per night, so that you think more clearly

4. Stick to your budget

5. Start saving and investing every week, no matter how little you can spare

6. Balance your checkbook

7. Don’t try to be friends with everyone. Cultivate closer relationships with fewer people.

8. Don’t try to do business with everyone. Identify your target client and take very good care of them.

9. Before getting angry, ask yourself if it will really matter in 20 years

10. Focus on being a good person, not on pleasing others

11. Stay home this Saturday and finish off that nagging chore

12. Kiss and make up

13. Make a weekly menu, and shop for only those items at the market

14. Ask your grandparents the best way to uncomplicate life, and try it for a month

15. Fill up your gas tank when it’s half full

16. Don’t drink alcohol when you’re tired, sad, or mad

17. Pay your bills on time

18. Get an annual physical examination

19. Say “I love you” to your significant other and to your children. Studies show that more marriages last, and fewer kids use drugs, when these words are spoken every day.

20. For just one day, imagine everyone’s intentions are good because most people’s are

21. Give away clothes that haven’t been worn in two years

22. Throw out clothes that are in disrepair and that can’t be mended

23. When you have a conflict with someone, talk it out. Don’t let it turn into more than it is.

24. Know what your priorities are in life, and act as if they are your priorities

25. Tell the truth

26. Don’t cheat

27. Don’t steal

28. If you’re holding on to a ridiculous grudge, let it go

29. Clean your house weekly, so that it doesn’t become too large a chore

30. Do your best at work, or at school

31. Don’t eat when you aren’t hungry

32. Eat when you are hungry

33. Be yourself

34. Say no unapologetically

35. Cook simple meals

36. Don’t try to keep up with the Joneses

37. Pay off your car before buying a new one

38. Organise your desk at the office

39. Change your smoke alarm batteries when the clocks spring forward, and again when they fall back

40. Organise your important paperwork

41. Take only half the clothes that you planned to take with you on holiday

42. Help your children with their homework every night, and have an open dialogue with their teachers

43. Have white sheets and white towels in children’s rooms/bathrooms, because they’re easily bleached

44. Spend your time with nice people

58. Have your oil changed

59. Take vitamin C BEFORE you catch a cold

60. Don’t work more than 8 hours per day

61. Weed your garden weekly

62. Wash your car weekly

63. Have a spring cleaning month every year, and do one room at a time

64. You don’t need to be best friends with work colleagues, but build respectful partnerships

65. Don’t drink and drive

66. Don’t look for reasons to be angry or sad, look for reasons to be happy. You’ll always be able to find plenty of each.

67. Be friendly with your neighbours

68. Return emails and phone messages promptly

69. Schedule in free time

70. Don’t procrastinate

71. Do what you say you’ll do, when you say you’ll do it

72. Be more flexible when you’re able to be

73. Forgive and forget. End of story.

74. Break the consumerism habit…put a three month moratorium in place on buying anything not deemed a necessity

75. Start your diet on September 1, rather than January 1, so that you won’t also have holiday pounds to lose

76. Take care of any health issues or concerns

77. Have your tires rotated

78. Have your brakes checked

79. Have your eyes checked

80. Don’t let your imagination run away with you

81. Let go of perfection in others

82. Let go of perfection in yourself

83. Don’t try to help those that refuse to help themselves

84. Find a way to reduce your commute to work

85. Have an alloted amount of worry time per day/week, that you strictly abide by

86. Drink more water

87. Eat more salmon

88. Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill

89. Wear your hair in a classic, easy to care for style

90. Finish what you start

91. Wear classic clothes and shoes that never go out of style

92. Create a daily routine

93. Have a 1, 5, 10 and 20 year plan for your financial and life goals

94. Slow down

95. Eat out less often

96. When you ask your husband which outfit looks best, thank him for his answer and wear the one he liked rather than focusing on why he didn’t like the other one

97. Allow your children to grow up

98. Clean out your garage, and donate anything that hasn’t been used in the past year

99. Stretch every day

100. If a relationship is over, let it go

This post has been featured on BlogHer and BellaMumma

Photo: Rosamund Pike in Vogue.

Related posts:

{ 67 comments… read them below or add one }

sandy@oohlafroufrou August 13, 2010 at 23:39

If we followed just a handful of these recommendations, our life would be immeasurably better — if we aimed for all 100, who knows what it could be? Thanks for the insight. And thanks from a stranger, papa.

DeeAnne August 14, 2010 at 11:57

That’s the secret, isn’t it Sandy? We don’t need to change everything…Just making small changes can make such large differences in our lives.

Thank you for your continuing support and friendship!

Very best,
D

Simply Luxurious (Shannon) August 14, 2010 at 05:15

DeeAnne – I couldn’t agree more with the entire list. Wonderful job. I don’t know how you came up with all of these, but they are so simple, it just involves discipline which ultimately turns in to peace of mind. Thank you again. I will be saving this list.

Simply Luxurious (Shannon) August 14, 2010 at 05:36

Can’t help it – this post has to be in my Cups of Tea for Sunday – 8/15 – too good not to. =)

DeeAnne August 14, 2010 at 11:55

Thank you Shannon! I very much appreciate your comment, and being added to your Cups of Tea for Sunday. You are far too kind!!

I hope your weekend is as wonderful as you are!

xoxo,
D

Gee Backhouse August 14, 2010 at 11:23

Another wonderful one-hundred from you. Love it and will re-read it often. Especially like the words that point us towards being who we really are, knowing ourselves and living a life of integrity. Next job on my list, show your post to everyone I know.
Thank you. Gee

DeeAnne August 14, 2010 at 11:51

Thank you Gee! I love that you picked out knowing ourselves and living a life of integrity as signposts in this list. It hadn’t occurred to me, but an uncomplicated life must include those very noble pursuits.
I’m very honoured that you would choose to show my writing to others, too.
I hope you’re well, and that you have a perfect weekend!
Very warm regards,

Clearly Composed August 14, 2010 at 18:30

I liked this and stumbled it so I can peek at it often. :)

ananth March 15, 2014 at 20:26

me too !

Tracey August 15, 2010 at 10:44

This is so very wonderful … I’ll print this list out and keep it handy! :)

DeeAnne August 16, 2010 at 10:24

Thank you for the kind words Tracey!

Very best,
D

Piper (DailyDivaDish) August 15, 2010 at 15:34

I hadn’t seen this post on my own yet, but luckily saw it on of Cups of Tea today. You’ve done it again. A perfect list! I need to start doing several of the things immediately. Thanks for a great reminder. Have a beautiful day!
XO Piper

DeeAnne August 16, 2010 at 10:25

I adored your article in Cups of Tea, as well! You inspire me with every post.

xoxo,
D

Karla @ {The Classy Woman} August 15, 2010 at 17:29

I found you via Cups of Tea today by Shannon. I LOVE this list because this is the way that I truly try my best to live by and also continue to aspire to live by. None of these tips are overly complicated and that is why I enjoyed your list so much. :) Progress and fulfillment in life usually comes from the little changes we make. We can never reach really big goals without all the little steps along the way.

Have a wonderful weekend, I’m so glad I found your site!

Warmly,
Karla

DeeAnne August 16, 2010 at 10:32

Good morning Karla!
I’ve just found your site through Shannon as well, and I love it! I’m so thrilled to find a community of bloggers/writers that have similar thoughts to mine about creating a life they love that’s based on both internal and external beauty. I am so inspired by all that I see on your websites!
I couldn’t agree more about the little things making all the difference in our lives either!
I look forward to getting to know you!
xo,
D

Terri-Jane September 5, 2010 at 18:23

This list is awesome, and I’ll definitely be linking it on my blog – numerous links to this site, I think!! :) x

Drakulita December 31, 2010 at 07:21

Thank you for this. I keep coming back to this list just so I would remember. :) 2011, for me, would all be about life simplified.

DeeAnne January 5, 2011 at 10:09

So thrilled that you enjoyed it, and wouldn’t life simplified be just the perfect gift?
xoxo,
D

Elder Peralta January 27, 2011 at 06:18

I did enjoy reading and look forward to applying those things in my own life.

There is a few of them that I will not be able to go with because I am a male like number “96. When you ask your husband which outfit looks best, thank him for his answer and wear the one he liked.”

Heaven Renae January 29, 2011 at 14:20

Read this and truly smiled,I believe that if people male and female all lived by half of these then there would not only be a more peaceful world but most likely the divorce rate would be way lower. Thanks so much for sharing!

Fluffytop January 30, 2011 at 02:30

This is great, BUT… too long! I got bored after about 27… I get the gist, but you need to decide on the 20 max – preferabley 10, best ones. Love&Peace xx

Live Life Every Day February 1, 2011 at 18:20

Great list, DeAnne!

It’s so great to read about someone else who knows that we shouldn’t take life for granted and get caught up in insignificant things. True happiness is so easy to obtain if only we listened to ourselves! Your list surely puts everyone on the right path to true happiness and livin’ life the way they want to.

Thank you so very much for this list. Hopefully many more people get to read it!

Dania - Mommy Nuggets March 21, 2011 at 00:37

Your gradfather was soooo right! If we just make a few small changes and enjoy what we have life would be so much better!
Thanks for sharing :)

Tina March 27, 2011 at 02:48

I’ve been on a mission to de-clutter my house and my life for almost a year and your list is in line with the direction I’m heading. Since January I’ve been setting small weekly goals that I’m hoping to building on throughout the year – your list gives me a few more ideas. Thanks!

DeeAnne March 28, 2011 at 10:28

Hello Tina!
Thank you so much for your kind comments, and I’m so happy that you’ve gotten a few new ideas (although it sounds as if you’re a force to be reckoned with on your own!).
Happiest of Mondays,

Ashley March 28, 2011 at 03:32

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing! And thanks to StumbleUpon for bringing this site up for me.

All these things are so very true. I’m in my early 20s and hope to have these mastered before 30.

DeeAnne March 28, 2011 at 10:30

Dear Ashley,
You are already way ahead of me at your age, and 30 is quite an ambitious plan but it sounds like you’re just the girl to make it happen!
Very Best,

Dorothy March 28, 2011 at 13:21

I found your site yesterday as I was looking for information on how to live elegant. Your grandpa was a very insightful man. I learned through Louise Hay, author of ‘You Can Heal Your Life’ that life is simple and that what we put out, we get back, it is us that complicates things. Once we know better we learn to do better.

I will keep these tips handy as well as the other 100s you have; they are simple and to the point! Please keep up your wonderful site!

Much success!

DeeAnne March 28, 2011 at 14:01

Hello Dorothy,

Thank you for your lovely comments, and I love your insight drawn from Louise Hay!

Many thanks, too, for the well wishes on the success of my site. It’s so very appreciated.

My Very Best,

Ryan March 30, 2011 at 03:08

Great list! But why should I eat salmon?

DeeAnne March 30, 2011 at 09:48

Thank you, and great question Ryan! Eating salmon is on the list because it is one of the so called “super foods”, due to its omega-3 fatty acid content. I’ll attach a link that lists the benefits of omega-3, but it includes cardio and mental health, and also its safeguards against cancer. In trying to uncomplicate life, taking care of one’s health and avoiding serious health issues is very high on the list.
Thank you again!
D

Nick May 10, 2011 at 19:56

Haha, I need to start filling my gas tank up earlier. I always wait until the last moment when it’s on empty and then you’re rushing to find a station. Definitely an un-needed stress.

DeeAnne May 12, 2011 at 15:09

Hello Nick!
I’m cut from the same cloth as you, and often find myself in a hurry to make an appointment and out of gas. Not fun!

Maggie May 25, 2011 at 20:01

Hi! I just found this page through StumbleUpon and I loved it!! Everything on this list makes so much sense. Thanks for sharing!

DeeAnne May 26, 2011 at 12:25

I’m so glad that you enjoyed it! Thank you for the kind words.

D

EC May 28, 2011 at 06:12

It started out great but it’s too long of a list if we’re are looking to ‘simplify’ our lives.

Carolina_USMLE June 2, 2011 at 14:44

I loved it! Thanks so much for shairng your Grandfather wisdom!

Bangs and a Bun September 23, 2011 at 17:08

This is such a fantastic list. Such simple things that we all forget from time to time, allowing ourselves to get swept up in some sort of turbo-powered life. Thank you for the reminder. I’ve forwarded this to everyone I know!

DeeAnne September 24, 2011 at 11:27

Thank you Bangs! I also get swept up far too often, but I’ve been so inspired by people that center themselves around the slow, simple things that make all the difference. Many, many thanks for both your comment, and for sharing my post.

HonestMum September 23, 2011 at 20:00

Bangs was right about that. I was directed here by her and what a truly, wonderful life affirming/must do more of list. Thank you for sharing the simple secrets to a happy life.

DeeAnne September 24, 2011 at 11:28

I’m so pleased that you enjoyed it! x

Thomas - Unaccredited Expert October 9, 2011 at 10:50

Very very good. It’s always nice to meet a fellow fan of “logic” and “common sense.” I’m just getting my blog started. If you have time please check it out and let me know if you’d like to exchange links.
Sincerely,
Thomas

Sandra November 28, 2011 at 20:51

Now isn’t this just the cat’s meow! I love your site and so glad to find it. Thanks o Stumbleupon! Your 100 list is right on! I remember my Grandfather always said, “Haste Makes Waste” and boy, have I learned that one hard way…over and over again. Sandra

DeeAnne November 29, 2011 at 09:24

Thank you for your kind comments Sandra, and don’t we all have those lessons that we must learn over and over again?!

My very best,

Angelica December 9, 2011 at 18:27

I like them all, except for “eat more salmon”! I’m vegan…

DeeAnne December 12, 2011 at 11:54

Hi Angelica!
Thank you for the comment, and I applaud your values.
Very best,

Kakie December 31, 2011 at 02:35

Love them all! Stumbled as a bookmark, tweeted and others so I can visit again. Funny how at times we tend to over-complicate life when we don’t need to. Great post.

DeeAnne January 30, 2012 at 10:14

So very kind Kakie, and how true? Why is it so easy to complicate things??

Kind regards,

Erik Willey January 14, 2012 at 17:19

One of the best things that I have ever read! Thank you.

DeeAnne January 30, 2012 at 10:13

What a lovely thing to say! Thank you so much Erik.

Tomas@transformers toys January 26, 2012 at 17:35

Thanks for the reminder DeeAnne, most have been done, some are difficult to be finished and the rest in process, anyway did a great job.

DeeAnne January 30, 2012 at 10:12

Thank you Tomas! Good luck on your journey, and let’s keep in touch along our paths.

Very best,

Milissa March 25, 2012 at 14:35

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing. :)

DeeAnne March 27, 2012 at 10:49

I’m so glad you enjoyed it Millissa!

Annie March 26, 2012 at 20:44

LOVE this post!!! Thanks for 100 AWESOME reminders :)
Annie
AllNaturalAnnie.com

DeeAnne March 27, 2012 at 10:49

Thank you for the lovely words Annie!

Very best,

Katie July 20, 2012 at 04:22

Here are a few more to add to the list above;
1. When you work, work like a laborer; and when you enjoy, enjoy like a princess.
2. Practice smiling; it changes your persona.
3. Listen to what your heart says and follow with conviction.
4. Eat, indulge and exercise in moderation to stay healthy and happy.

Jill October 24, 2012 at 18:34

Great list! And I really must take notice especially getting up a little earlier to make my morning less stressful! And also clearing out the garage, there’s way too much stuff in there that’ll we’ll probably never use again.

DeeAnne October 26, 2012 at 10:35

I’m so happy that you enjoyed the list! It’s amazing how far a little simplicity will go in making our lives even more delightful, isn’t it?

My very best,

Linda Samuels January 27, 2013 at 19:07

Once again, you get to the heart of things, DeeAnne with you clear, direct wisdom. Some of these things seem so simple, yet how often are they overlooked? Most appreciate the getting organized and letting go themes. Getting some control and order over what CAN be managed can make a big difference in making life less “complicated.” Letting go of those things we have NO control over or no longer serve us well is another life changer.

DeeAnne January 29, 2013 at 11:27

Thank you so much for your comment Linda, and for sharing your own very wise thoughts on an uncomplicated life!

Vicki January 27, 2013 at 23:58

I think we would all love to live an uncomplicated life. Just had to share on my blog.
Vicki

DeeAnne January 29, 2013 at 11:26

Thank you so much Vicki!

My very best,

anupama February 10, 2013 at 13:07

I like the article very much. I wil definetly apply them in my life .thank you for that. My english is not good so please excuse me for that. I have a 3 years old son. Would you please give me some tips which i could teach him so that he would become a wellmannered boy and a good human being one day.

Catherine Cassel February 21, 2013 at 11:28

Thankyou sooo much D…..you helped me alot :):)

Baby Names December 20, 2013 at 14:14

Wonderful life hacks that inspired me. Well done, keep simplifying your lives!!!

Natasha March 2, 2014 at 17:19

Awesome.. We just forget basic things in our daily life. Smaller things can make you really happy